Stuff to do before 0.6a:
- Add in a few new items, mostly boots & gloves.
- Make sure the balance is okay. While I don't expect the balance to be anywhere near perfect on this first release, I don't want too many unbeatable situations to be cropping up.
Stuff to do after 0.6a (but probably during the 0.6 series):
- Experiment with dodge mechanics. The current mechanic (in 0.6a) is a "stagger" mechanic that replaces the critical/fumble system. I'm not overly satisfied with how it works in 0.6a, but it is a little more interesting than the old way.
- More stuff to do and find. The base game is starting to reach a point where it contains most of the essential elements. I'd like to implement a few new floors and perhaps a secret or two before 0.7a gets underway.
- Better species. Most of the species are still basic deviations of a formula (though they are a little better in 0.6a). I want to add in a couple of oddball species that make the game challenging in unusual ways.
- Work out the differences between melee & ranged. In 0.6a, I've gone ahead and turned off melee Charging, because it wasn't documented anywhere and, more importantly, it wasn't very interesting. I'd like to find a sensible (non-gimmicky) way to make ranged combat a bit more challenging without just saying "it takes 1 or 2 extra turns to kill stuff because you're using a blaster".
Overall I'm pretty happy with how 0.6a has shaped up to be. I think the mechanical overhauls (e.g., wiping out the D6 system) have done the game a lot of good. The game still has a long way to go before a "1.0" can even be considered, but 2012 has been a rather productive year as far as @Star War goes and I believe 2013 will at least match it in terms of productivity.